Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Most Joyful Girl

When I'm idle I get antsy. In my relatively short life, I've used 'multi-tasking' as a gateway drug to 'over-tasking', often biting off more than I think I can chew. In many instances, however, I am pleased to find that I can handle just as much as I've bitten (my father would be only too happy to back me up on how big my mouth is), and maybe then some. Coming out of a challenge, no matter how big or small, gives me the most insane rush of joy. I live for that feeling.


After graduating with a B.A. in Theatre and a B.S. in Communicative Sciences & Disorders from my Undergraduate University (all in four years-- there's that over-tasking bug, again) this spring, I was jumping out of my skin with excitement at my impending out-of-state move to New York City for graduate school. By July 2nd, I was settled in to my new apartment and attending my first class as a grad: Neuroanatomy. Yikes.

While class was a bit intense, I made it through and even came out with a better appreciation for the human mind! Education at its finest. Plus, the short summer-semester time frame gave me a nice month long break to explore my new city. I've gone uptown, downtown, across town, and more. And there is still so much more ground to cover.

I've been blessed to have visitors nearly every weekend since I've been here. We've tackled everything from crossing the Brooklyn Bridge to appearing in a rap video. I kid you not. I'll share the experience once (if ever) the video becomes available.

On top of this, I'm starting to come into my own as a vegetarian chef and baker. The city has given me access to foods and ingredients I've never had before, and I've been spending some serious quality time with my new tiny kitchen.

All of my experiences in this new place have given me that sparkle of joy that I crave, and they've inspired me to share it.

Maybe I'll make you laugh. Maybe I'll teach you something new. Maybe I'll inspire you to challenge yourself. Or maybe none of those things will happen, and this blog will simply serve as another task on my To-Do list. Regardless, I'm looking forward to keeping busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Preach.