Sunday, September 16, 2012

5 Things I've Learned in Grad School

I have finally finished my first full week of Graduate School and, boy, is my head spinning. Insanely, I opted to take on my program's intensive track, leaving me with a nice, round, 16-credit/ 7 class schedule this fall. Why this option doesn't come with a psychological fitness examination is beyond me. So, while drowning in the misery brought on by this horrible week, I will attempt to focus on the positive: my education.

I present... 5 Things I've Learned in Grad School (so far)

5. You don't have time for the drama.
Unlike some of your old classmates from your undergraduate institution, you have things to do. Since you're not busy living at your parents' house and working in retail, you just don't have the time to type up unnecessarily snide and mean-spirited notes, like they do. It's a hard job, but someone has to grow up and take the high road. Take heart in the fact that, while they're building up their bad karma, you'll be collecting nice, fat cosmic paychecks in no time. Hopefully, some literal paychecks will turn up, too.

4. Always lend a helping hand.
I know, I know, this one sounds too precious to be legit. But it is, I promise you! Offering help can lead to some pretty great things. Namely: friendship. I learned this my second day of class. While walking to my 10AM Voice Disorders course, I saw a girl struggling with the door to the building our class was in. Having made this mistake myself this summer, I stopped and informed her of the wackiness of this building's configuration: In order to get to our "building", we had to enter through the "building" connected to it and navigate down a through-way to the elevator bank that serviced "our building". Why the doors to the place we need to go are constantly locked is a mystery, but from then on out I had a buddy. Another bonus: making one new friend almost always ensures that others come with it! Which leads to my next discovery...

3. Happy Hour was invented for a reason.
BOOZING.

Ok, so that's a part of it, but not why it's important. Happy Hour is a great excuse to take a break from all that education. Its also the perfect casual environment to meet new people and get to know others better. Plus, drinks are half off. Talk about a deal! My university's Graduate Student Organization held a Happy Hour Social last week where I got a nice opportunity to meet a few new first year grads, as well as pick the brain of my program mentor. It got me really excited for my program and I felt like I really 'clicked' with many of my peers. This week a few of my "Speechie" friends and I gathered at one of my favorite little places, Rue B, for half off drinks and appetizers. So delicious, so cathartic, so wallet-friendly. If you aren't using Happy Hour to your advantage, I encourage you to hop on this train. Your brain and your social life will thank you.

2. Go out on a limb.
Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in all the work and getting that perfect grade. Yes, we're all already freaking out about it. No, its not going to stop. But it doesn't have to be the only thing in your life. You can take a chunk of that "study time" you're using (on Facebook) and join a club. I did, and so far it has been a great little reward for getting through my busy Wednesday schedule. After my intense hump day, I head over to one of my professor's apartments and meet a group of ten other students (ranging from undergraduates to doctoral candidates) to sing. Its undoubtedly a tiny, sort-of-unorganized gathering, but we sound pretty darn good after two rehearsals. It reminded me how much I missed singing in a group and definitely brought on some strong memories from my "Top 21" days. It puts a positive spin on my day and still leaves me with enough time to read, take notes, analyze, write, and grade grub.

1. Persevere. Persevere. Persevere.
I knew taking this step in my education would be far from a casual stroll in the park, but I thought I would have some kind of map or crack-spirit guide to accompany me on the journey. Not so. I've come to the bitter realization that I'm wandering alone in the Forbidden Forest of my master's program. I'm pretty much lost in regards to every aspect of my enrollment. What is my course plan for the next two years? Why don't my professors answer e-mails? Where can I get a quesadilla?

(Ok, that last one was a joke, but someone really asked that in one of my lab sessions last week when our TA opened the floor for questions. Can't knock her comedic timing.)

Lately I've felt completely out of step with myself. I've gone from feeling like I have zero information on pretty much anything to do with my program, to feeling overwhelmed by being doused with important needed-to-know-this-yesterday information at the last minute. It's a lot for someone like me (read: type A) to handle. I like to have all my ducks in a row, and right now... this is what my ducks are doing:

HOWEVER, "persevere, persevere, persevere" is the motto that's going to get me through this (even though I swore to Nazlı that it was "It's five o'clock somewhere"). Even though I'm lost in the woods, there's a path in there just waiting for me to stumble upon it. If I have to do it completely alone, so be it. That's life. It might be fun. It might make me lighten up a bit. It might be... anything.

Persevere, persevere, persevere

No comments:

Post a Comment

Preach.